Health & Human Services
Health and Human Services (HHS) Facet
The Health and Human Services Facet is the newest Facet and was established in response to the chronic health disparities that persist in African American communities. The goal of HHS is to promote and facilitate programs that support the maintenance of good health.
The Los Angeles Chapter was a pilot project at Windsor Hills School for Childhood Obesity in 2011, tracking student progress in grades 3-5, and currently continues the purpose and activities of Childhood Obesity prevention with students.
Program Objectives are:
- Involve program participants in activities to improve knowledge of good nutrition and healthy eating habits.
- Increase the opportunity for targeted youth to participate in a program of planned physical activity.
- Develop partnerships and collaborations to promote the goals of the Childhood Obesity Prevention project.
Other activities of HHS are:
- Engage Los Angeles Chapter members to participate in an annual walk /run event
- Present monthly Health Facts to Chapter members
- Support HeartLinks to Heart Health every February
- Facilitate annual Health Booth at : Earth Day and Taste of Soul to distribute information on Hep C