Services to Youth
Services to Youth
The Services to Youth Facet uses an integrated approach of the 5 Facets to prepare youth to succeed as healthy citizens in the global workforce and to promote healthy lifestyles within families and communities.
Historically, since 1952, Los Angeles has provided an award winning, signature Umbrella Program under the Services to Youth Facet for Young Women (16-18, or Junior and Senior in High School).The Cotillion Program is jointly sponsored by The Los Angeles Charitable Trust, and The Los Angeles Chapter, The Links, Incorporated. This program is a six month Leadership Development Program through the Leadership Institute, culminating in a Cotillion that provides:
- Training modules for pre-college mentoring
- Support of science, technology, engineering, mathematics education and arts integration (STEM to STEAM)
- Community Service Project emphasizing civic engagement
- College Essay Workshops
In collaboration with Services to Youth, each Facet is responsible for a workshop activity for the Leadership Institute. The Institute trains 16-25 Young women annually.
Other Service to Youth Activities includes:
- STEM to STEAM Initiative at Windsor Hills Math Science Magnet School: to increase the ability of struggling readers to improve basic literacy skills and reading proficiency to qualify for participation in a STEM Program;
- Through a partnership with Toyota at Windsor Hills: Provide STEAM to STEAM based supplemental education and Teacher enrichment training by:
- Visit to LA City Dept. Sanitation to study benefits of conservation and re-cycling.
- Participation in Earth Day with focus on Climate control(Health and Human Services and National Trends Facet joint venture)
- LA Phil. Music is Math Day at Windsor Hills (the Arts Facet)
- Saturday School Volunteers for Reading Readiness Lab.
- Gumbo Girlz Mentoring Program supported by National Trends Facet